Monday, October 20, 2008

Ren Fest!!!

I know I missed another post, but this time I have a valid excuse. I was at REN FEST! haha. Sunday I woke up very early and spent 3 hours on hair, makeup, and costume preparation. At 8:45 Josh, Eric, and I were on our way. Between the Ded Bob Sho (no, I was not forced to be a zombie again this time), Tartanic, the Mud Pit, jousts, sword shops, candle shops, yard long alcoholic beverages, people taking pictures of our costumes, and other people's amazing costumes, it was the best day EVER! :-) We stayed till almost 6, at which point I was too exhausted to keep going. After driving home, I came back to my apt and passed out. Can't wait to go again in a couple weeks!




























For today's entry, I'd like to talk about Anime. I know that most of you think its just as dorky as Stargate, if not more. But again, I have to disagree. Its not always so bad! Now, I am one who doesnt like translated episodes. I will watch the subbed episodes, but the ones with the voice overs are definitely quite annoying. I also prefer subs because most of the subbing orgs will pick up episodes as soon as they are released in Japan, and have them subbed and available for online download by the end of the week. This gets rid of that horribly long time gap (sometimes several years!) between Japanese episode release dates, and translated episode release dates in the US. The horrible quality of translation makes them seem ridiculously cheesy and dumb. But if you can stand reading subtitles, I would first reccomend Bleach. It is probably my favorite Anime, and I have enjoyed most of the 190 current episodes. I am currently also watching several other series, but I will let you know more about those later.

4 comments:

Josh said...

Yay Ren Fest!

and, I've never watched much anime, I'm like you, I don't care much for them when English is dubbed over, but subtitles could work. Maybe I'll have to check out a few episodes of Bleach sometime. Have any on DVD?

Sabriel9876 said...

I had 1-180 on my computer before it crashed. Now I only have 181-190. Best way to get them is to download torrent files. I don't think you can buy a DVD of subbed episodes. You would either have to buy them in Japanese, or in English. They might have a Japanese version with a subtitles option, but it would be the same translation as in the English version. I would much rather have them translated by people who don't try to translate too literally...which is why I enjoy the ones put out by Dattebayo and Flomp-Rumbel.

Tara said...

I'm sad that you wern't one of the zombies again this year at the Ded Bob Sho. That was so funny! And yay for Tartanic...they are awesome!! And your costume...wow...just wow! Glad you had an amazing time!

Carat said...

Oh Bleach, how I love and loathe thee all at once. I made it to about season 5 or 6 before getting frustrated with the whole ordeal. I prefer Anime that is concise, and Manga series that run long.